Recent events have pulled between 500-3000+ emails for the participants!
- Click here to go directly to the sign-up form
- See Current Event
- Check an Upcoming Event Status
- Private Label Mailing List Builders
What you do:
- STEP ONE: Join an upcoming genre-specific event.
- STEP TWO: Shortly before the start of your event, you'll be provided with promotional graphics/content to send to your current mailing list.
- STEP THREE: PROMOTE the giveaway by sending a notice to your mailing list, using your social media, etc.
- STEP FOUR: Gift the three winners an ebook!
Done! Now you have hundreds if not thousands of new followers!
- AXP runs a week-long heme/genre-specific giveaway event for readers, featuring authors who have signed up to be in the event.
- Emails collected during this event are given to the participating authors. Example of a live event: https://authorsxp.com/giveaway
- The event features 10+ authors (usually more like 30) from a particular genre so the emails are from readers who will appreciate THAT genre.
- Total book cost to author: 3 eBOOKS. Authors send ONE eBOOK (not paperback) to each grand prize winner and ONE to the winner of their individual book.
- Your book does NOT have to be free or discounted at the time of the event. Better it isn't! Who wants to win something already free? :)
- If you do have a free or discounted book, you can add it to the AXP BOOK FAIR which pushes discounted books to giveaway entrants after they enter.
- Readers sign up to win books! NOT MONEY OR GIFTS. This means entries are from readers, not people who just want cash.
What you get:
- A copy of the full email list of subscribers to add to your own email lists.
- The full support of AXP every step of the way - worried you won't be able to figure out how to add the promotion to your mailing? AXP is here for you!
- Your novel exposed to tons of new readers!
- Authors do not "donate" their mailing list - they only promote the giveaway to their list.
- There is a note on the giveaway entry form so entrants understand they're sharing their email with all the participating authors.
More Articles of Interest
- Why Build My Mailing List?
- Using Your New List
- Problems with Third-Party (MailChimp, etc) Mailing Programs
- Private Mailing List Builder Ideas
It makes me crazy that some authors dont realize the power of building their mailing list! Here's why I think it is important.
Because Book Promotional Sites Can Be Spotty
Very few promotional sites offer return on investment. It's just a fact. You can spend a few hundred dollars buying a BookBub newsletter slot and watch it double your money, but it isn't easy getting those coveted BookBub slots. Other book promo sites you may pay to play, but in return sell two books. You don't have to be great at math to see that isn't the fast track to riches.
Because Amazon Owns Our Butts
Amazon won the ebook war. And for authors, NOT taking advantage of the higher percentages and marketing opportunities gained by enrolling our books in KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing which prevents our ebooks from appearing on Barnes and Noble, etc.) becomes sillier and sillier. But as much as I love all the different ways Amazon offers me to promote my books, their way of doing business has also done two other things:
1. Made readers used to reading free books through its KU (Kindle Unlimited) program. This means sometimes I promote a book it took me months to write for $2.99 and get a nasty tweet from a reader informing me I'm out of my mind because he'd never spend $2.99 on a book. Thanks. Thanks for sharing. Block.
2. They've cornered the market. Amazon holds us by the literary gonads. If they say the price per page that we are paid for books enrolled in the KU program is dropping to .0000000000004 we cant really do a darn thing about it. It hasn't happened, but it could. And that's terrifying.
Because With Your Own List, YOU Control Your Marketing
Empowering thought, isnt it? :)
So you participated in an AXP Mailing List Builder Giveaway Event! Yay!
Hm. Now what?
Heres some ideas and best practices!
- Add these emails to your current email list - or, if you have the ability - add them to a second list so you can mail these new potential fans special offers and/or maybe mail them less frequently for a bit while you ease them into the fold.
- BE OF VALUE. Do you like boring/salesy spam? Probably not. When you send out newsletters, be sure they are of some value to the recipient. Make them funny or interesting. Share OTHER authors freebees and promotions (its like giving your readers gifts you dont have to pay for!) - make readers look forward to your newsletters - not dread them.
- Don't get it into your head that you MUST MAIL. People would rather get infrequent newsletters than one every Wednesday that bores them to tears.
- Keep track of results. Watch your stats - if you have an unusual number of unsubscribes after a particular newsletter, maybe don't do that again (Whatever it was!)
- Let them know about giveaways
- Let them know about promotions (yours and others)
- Be funny, entertaining or interesting
- Do run contests and other value added events
- Check your newsletters for proper links/dead links
- Make your newsletter attractive - not a jumble of different fonts and colors and blech
- Spam them with pleas to buy your full-priced books. Save begging for promos. The more ME ME ME BUY BUY BUY your newsletters are, the more BYE BYE BYE your followers will be.
- Don't send more than once a week unless something crazy great is going on.
- Don't introduce yourself in every newsletter. People are inundated with stuff - just because they signed up for your newsletter, it doesnt mean they're that interested in YOU. They want to be entertained. Bios that sound pulled from a CV are death. Stories about yourself that are funny/interesting/moving - thats entertainment. Make them love you - don't tell them why they should. Show don't tell!
Providing authors with thousands of potential new fans is sometimes actually a problem - thanks to MailChimp, MadMimi or other third party mailing list systems.
These services are restricting your ability to grow your author fan base in two ways.
1. Sheer numbers
After you have X number of subscribers on MailChimp (etc.), you need to start paying monthly for the service. You're being penalized for doing well!
2. Unsubscribe Issues
If the percentage of unsubscribes or spam reports from a mailing is more than X amount, MailChimp (etc) disapproves. The problem is, there will be unsubscribes. Usually about 1-2% for me, whenever I add a new list gathered from an AXP giveaway. Mailchimp sometimes flags account for even such ridiculously low unsubscribe rates.
While AuthorsXP Giveaways DO warn people that by entering the giveaway theyre agreeing to be added to the authors lists, not everyone reads that disclaimer or remembers it. Were not doing anything wrong or illegal.
Add a small portion of your new list to your Mailchimp list each time you do a mailing.
This will keep your unsubscribes down for each mailing, and keep you under Mailchimp's radar. It's just going to take longer.
What if youre on a system that no longer lets you import ANY lists?
Be in charge of your own mailing lists.
There are fantastic alternatives to Mailchimp that allow you to own and work your own lists, which is what I do.
How to Be Your Own Mailing List Provider
Is your site on self-hosted WordPress CMS (content management system)?
MailPoet is a great solution for WordPress. You do NOT pay for each mailing. Its $99 per YEAR to have unlimited addresses.
Is your site on Joomla? (CMS)
ACYMailing is my favorite mailing program of all time. The whole AuthorsXP.com web site runs on it. You do NOT pay for each mailing. Its $34 per YEAR to have unlimited addresses.
Is your site just an old fashioned HTML site your cousin did for you that isnt even phone friendly?
Or if you know anyone who is even vaguely techy, both the programs I mentioned are very easy to setup and use. They can probably help you too.
Bottom line - if youre serious about growing your fan base - dont let MailChimp or other systems hold you back or cost you a fortune! Take control of your future.
There are two ways to participate in PRIVATE MAILING LIST BUILDERS:
These events work like any other event, except instead of the theme being a genre, the theme is your group. This is a great way to create brand awareness for your group or to create an event that focuses on an unusual genre or topic.
You can use the AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT (newsletter dedicated to you), DAILY DEAL newsletter and the weekly BOOK FAIR to build your newsletter list, any time you like!
2. INSTEAD of using the Amazon link to your FREE book or story, use a BookFunnel, InstaFreebie or your own websites Newsletter Sign up link.
3. Now, when people click to download your book, theyll be taken somewhere where you can capture their email before they download - BOOM! New newsletter sign ups! And you didnt have to push a thing to your readers.
4. PAIR this idea with another DAILY DEAL listing that goes straight to Amazon so you dont miss the people who want your free book, but dont want to be on a list, and youve got all your bases covered for your freebie promo, making it twice as powerful.