AXP Beta Readers receive the occassional special genre-specific opportunities from authors. These assignments range from beta reading (90%) to special missions.
What is a Beta Reader?
A great Beta Reader offers detailed feedback on plot, characters, clarity and pacing - delivered in a timely manner. In short, authors want feedback on a book about to be published before publication. Beta readers are an important part of the publishing process and can make books better!
How to be the Perfect Beta Reader
- Be a reader. Love books!
- Choose books in genres you like. Authors want to hear from target readers.
- Don’t be mean or apathetic. Authors want constructive criticism, not abuse!
- The best candidates understand what makes a good book – such as plot and character development, voice, pacing and structure.
- Don’t get hung up on typos – these manuscripts often haven’t gone through a professional editor yet.
- No regular newsletter. You'll be sent requests as they are needed and only to the genres you sign up for.
- No obligation to finish. If you want to stop, just let the author know you'll be unable to finish and move on!
- Because the beta readers are the most dedicated readers, you will sometime receive other bonus opportunities to work with authors or weigh in on topics!