Get reviews, build a street team, find new fans!
One title for $25 for 40 requests (or until you request removal)
AuthorsXP.com isn't only about authors working together - we're also all about authors and readers working together!
Here's how it works!
As you probably know, Amazon has outlawed offer free books for review (there was a blog post that implied that rule didn't apply to authors -- it does. DO NOT tell reviewers to write "I received this book in exhange for review." The review will be yanked.
This changed the whole "read and review" landscape. But it is maybe BETTER for us. Here's why: Stop thinking free book=review. START thinking "I have a chance to talk to this reader and ask for a review. Ask them to join my street team for future reviews. Create a lasting relationship that will benefit us both."
- Fill out the form Click here to go directly to the sign-up form to join.
- We'll send you the emails of 40 readers who have requested your book for free. These are readers interested in your book. They chose you.
- Talk to them. Tell them you'd love a review. Tell them you'd love to add them to your street team or offer them future benefits - that's up to you.
- You'll provide readers with whom you connect a free copy of your ebook (NOT paperback). Most authors do this by gifting the books through Amazon. Requests sent to you note if the reader is out of the US or if they cannot read Kindle books - in which case you might need to send them to a link for a epub or PDF version or send them a mobi file directly.
- The reader will read and possibly review your book on Amazon and maybe GoodReads or wherever else they like to post. (Reviewing is up to them).
- The odds are a lot higher that they will review if you've established a rapport with them.
In short, we connect you with interested readers. You interact with them one on one. You have the opportunity to turn them into a fan!
Important things to know:
- There is no guarantee any reviews received will be good. These are honest reviews.
- You're not buying reviews (which would get you in a lot of trouble with Amazon). You're buying the opportunity to expose your book to interested readers.
- Readers understand they must note on their review that they received a free copy and voluntarily reviewed. (Per FTC/Amazon rules) Remind them of this. Many have been reviewing for years, so remind them not to write "in exchange for review" like they're used to doing.
- Any book is eligible, though we reserve the right to refuse a book.
Why this is great!
- You'll get a permanent spot in our book database and a temporary advertisement on our site.
- You expose your books to more readers and possibly get more reviews!
- You'll possibly get enough reviews for promotion sites that require a minimum
- Your books will be more attractive to buyers
- These readers might become life-long fans!
What about Amazon?
- Amazon's NEW Review Guidelines (10/3/16) state
Book authors and publishers may continue to provide free or discounted copies of their books to readers, as long as the author or publisher does not require a review in exchange or attempt to influence the review.
That means you can still give away free copies in the HOPES of getting reviews, but you can't give away free copies "in exchange for review."
Readers are under NO pressure or requirement to review. It's just a free book to do with what the reader wants.
Directions & Tips
After Signing Up You Must Add Your Book to the Database!
- Click on "Add Your Book" (that link is also at the top of the page in the light blue AUTHORS! box)
- You might have to login first if you're not already logged in.
- Fill out the form to add your book. It will be approved and added to the Author+Reader connect, as well as our permanent book database!
Interacting with Readers
- For each request you are sent - send them back something touching base like "I'm going to gift you a Kindle copy from Amazon, does that work?" Just to be sure they're on the planet before you send them something. If they don't get back to you, forget them and move on!
- Send them any format you like (that they can read). When you send it, you can tell them you'd love a review but that it is not required.
- Ask them to let you know they've chose to review if you like.
- REMIND THEM TO ADD THE PHRASE "I received a free copy of this book and voluntarily chose to review" to their review! That's an Amazon law and FTC.
- Make up an email template for sending to readers and save yourself some time!
- Most people handle Out of the US requests by emailing them mobi, epub or PDF files or sending them to links where they can download them (some people use services like book funnel)
- Calibre is good free software for converting mobi files to epub.
- Make a template up for sending books so you don't have to type a note from scratch each time!
- It's up to you if you want to touch base with readers and then send, or just send files.